ABOUT GLOSSER

Glosser Steel Service is a division of M. Glosser & Sons, Inc., based in Johnstown, PA. M. Glosser & Sons has served the needs of business and industry for over 100 years.

Moses Isaac Glosser (1864-1949) emigrated to America in the early 1890's from eastern Europe. His wife, Ida, and four children followed soon after settling on a farm near Blossburg in north central Pennsylvania. During slack seasons on the farm, he and his oldest son, Emanuel began trading in scrap materials, finding a good supply in Somerset County where large coal mining operations had recently commenced.

The family moved to Windber, Pennsylvania in 1899 and founded the business of trading and processing scrap. A fifth child, David, was born that year and as the boys matured and began to work, they were admitted to the partnership. After two or three years the family and business moved to Johnstown, continuing their operations in the Hornerstown section of the city where it expanded over the years, and where the corporate headquarters remain to this day.

The sons who joined their father in business were Emanuel (1883-1966), Solomon (1886-1950), Nathan (1891-1925), and David (1899-1964). A daughter, Besse (1890-1955) was not active in the company and taught at Johnstown High School.

Following the death of Moses Glosser in 1949, the company was incorporated and David Glosser was named president, serving until his death in 1964 when his nephew Daniel S. Glosser, the current president, succeeded him.

During the 1930's M. Glosser and Sons began its diversification starting to trade in pipe, valves, rails, and mining machinery. This led to adding the plumbing and heating supply business and subsequently the industrial supply and industrial equipment divisions. In the 1940's William H. Glosser (1915-1986), a grandson of the founder, began a steel supply division which now has plants in Windber and Camp Hill, Pennsylvania. The Tygart plants at McKeesport and Donora, Pennsylvania were acquired in 1983. At these plants steel plate is processed and Glosser trash compactors and containers are manufactured.

During the 100 years of its existence, M. Glosser & Sons has had the good fortune to have the services of hundreds of loyal employees, many of whom remained until retirement. It has also been the beneficiary of the private enterprise system and cooperative city, county, state, and federal governments.

As we look forward to a bright future, the management and employees wish to thank all of our friends, suppliers, customers, and the entire Johnstown community for more than 100 successful years.

Daniel S. Glosser,
President

M. Glosser and Sons, Inc. Today

Steel Service Center Warehouses
Windber, PA & Camp Hill, PA

Tygart Steel Division
McKeesport, PA

Glosser Manufacturing Company
Donora, PA